Tuesday, August 14, 2007

courtney's uganda journal - Aug 12

It’s so crazy as I think back over this whirlwind of a summer I’ve been having! Thinking back, a lot of my summers have been pretty much the same…and they all seem to blend together in my memory. Hanging out in the sun, relaxing with my family, reading, sleeping in, swimming, going to the beach…and of course celebrating my birthday—which was always a highlight when I was little:) This summer has been totally different from anything I’ve ever experienced…and I’m loving every minute of it! Working at Starbucks for a month, going to India—a dream come true, resting for 3 weeks (surprising Ryan in Washington for his birthday), traveling to Uganda with my family…and getting to celebrate my 21st birthday in this beautiful African country! This has definitely been a birthday—and an entire summer—I will never forget!!

Last Sunday when all our sponsored kids came over to hang out with us we celebrated my birthday with cake and ice cream:) It was so funny…in the van when we were driving to our apartment, mom mentioned that we would be having dessert to celebrate my birthday and Deborah got so excited, “It’s your birthday?!?” and so her and Mable (I was sitting between them) started clapping and singing happy birthday as the van full of kids joined in singing to me. It was so much fun…and, of course, it sounded beautiful because all the kids are in the choir, so they have amazing voices:)

My actual birthday was yesterday, and we went to watch the choir practice which was so much fun! I just love hearing them sing (and watching them dance)!! I could sit and watch them for hours:)

Today Dad, Mary and I led worship at church today!! We sang about six songs just the three of us, and then dad sang one song with Shakina (the worship team). I wasn’t too nervous singing like I thought I would be, and it was fun because the congregation got into it more than we were expecting. When we sang “In the Light” a lot of the high schoolers recognized it and sang along with us which was a lot of fun:) After we were done, Mary and I went up to the balcony for the rest of church where a bunch of the high schoolers sit. While the worship team continued singing all the kids around us were singing and dancing like crazy…it’s so much fun to watch:) One little boy was dancing the entire time (Hill thought he looked like a little Michael Jackson…doing all these crazy moves). During the sermon we sat with him and his little sister (they were so adorable!!) I found out later that they are Deborah’s younger brother and sister…they look so much like her:)

I have been having such an amazing time in Uganda. I’ve totally fallen in love with all the kids…they make me smile so much!! They are all SO sweet, I’m really going to miss them when it’s time to leave…but I’m trying not to think about that!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Court! Glad you were feeling better in time to celebrate your birthday and one you will always treasure! I would have LOVED to be in that worship service that you, Mary and your Dad led - can't wait to see the videos!! All my prayers and love, Stac

Uganda Photos (click on photo to change)

welcome to our blog!

We're not exactly sure what we'll be writing about, but we're sure it will be interesting... TO US!

Our newest posts will always be located at the top of the "Table of Contents" to the right, but you can also find posts by topic in the section below it.

want to leave a comment for us?

Just click on the word "comments" at the bottom of the post you'd like to respond to, and follow the directions.

Your comments are always appreciated.

___________________________________________________________

the latest on the sells

As of May 27, 2009...

Wow, it's been almost a year since we've updated this. Our family had a wonderful experience traveling to Uganda two summers ago, which prompted us to keep a journal on this blog. You can read our daily journal from our month long trip
here.

This year brings new adventures. Our eldest daughter, Courtney, after graduating from George Fox University with honors, left for her third trip to India to spend nearly a YEAR to work at Happy Home for the Handicapped in Shimoga, India. You can read about her first trip to India and the impact it had on her life here. She'll also give us new updates from her current trip on this site (here). As of this writing, she is just starting to settle in and is very excited to be there. She has been looking forward to this for a long time!

Meanwhile, Hillary spent all of last year
touring the western U.S. with Matsiko, the choir of children we grew to love as our own in Uganda. She journalled about her experiences in Uganda if you'd like to see what that was like. At some point during this tour, she felt led to join the U.S. Army. Quite a big decision, and one she didn't take lightly. After moving through Basic Training with flying colors, she is now at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio training to become a combat medic. It's a very intense training, but we're sure she'll do well. Our whole family was able to travel to South Carolina to watch her graduate from Basic Training. What an awe inspiring experience!

Leslie is having a great year of teaching 5th graders. She's also in a Master's program, which takes a good chunk of her time. She's still finds time to read a TON of books. Literally, a ton!

Curt was overwhelmed by his experience as a first time overseas traveler and kept up his journal here (you can also read his random posts on everyday life here). The busyness of life and keeping track of his traveling kids has slowed down his writing, but he hopes to begin writing on a regular basis again soon.