Monday, June 11, 2007

hillary's uganda journal - june 11

Posted by Curt, but written by Hillary...


I've always been proud of the fact that I haven't been sick or have had many mosquito bites while in Uganda. I took it as a sign that I was supposed to live here, as I looked around at all my suffering teamates. Well, scratch the first one. I've now been pretty hardcore sick (still getting over it actually), But, as for the second one, I dismissed the first few bites, ignorantly claiming, "no, those aren't bites!" or thinking those mosquitos were possessed, "they must be the crazy ones to bite me!" But now, I just can't deny the little red bumps, varying in size, protruding all over my arms.

Yep...those are definately mosquito bites. Malaria here I come!

Just joking! I'm not going to get malaria!
....I hope I didn't say that too soon...

But, enough of that. It's been a lot quieter without the Corban team here. And, I'm not gonna lie, I'm enjoying it! I get to go through all the children's papers and rewrite the information that is sent to their sponsers, and I'm organizing their letters they wrote. SO it's pretty fun for me. I also get to hang out with the choir every once in a while and hear their practices.



Every time I'm in Lusaka I go up the road to visit Yvonne's mom. She is SO sweet! And either she's shy or she doesn't speak much english. Either way, she is the nicest mom to me, even if I wake her up!

Stacey, I gave Mable that Bible you got her- she LOVES it! Every time I see her she asks me about you, and she is always carrying that picture you sent!



It's getting pretty rainy these days. I don't mind the rain, it's actually pretty fun because it's so hard! And it's pretty cool watching the red dirt rivers flowing down the roads. The only downside is that things tend to not happen very often when it rains. Especially if we were planning to travel somewhere. People usually just stay inside.



June 11th
Today I was at Lusaka doing a lot of paperwork. Oy. For lunch I had posho! Which is by far my least favorite African food (it's called Ogali in Kenya, and it might be worse there). Every time they serve it I have to choke it down. I'm ok with most foods here, actually, I love most foods here and I am becoming a pro at cooking African food!

But Posho..I don't think I can ever learn to like it!

Then I was tired with paperwork after lunch so I helped the cooks with everything that they do. I sorted beans for hours!! They make the food for all the children at the school, so I saw a crazy amount of beans today!

3 comments:

Curt Sell said...

Kelly says...

"Tell Hillary she looks and sounds like she's having the time of her life with the kids."

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!! So Hillary has me cracking up with her Malaria Ogali(so is it pronounced oh golly this again?!) Then at the same time I'm all misty looking at the pics. Wow...so awesome. Stay healthy girl we're praying for you!

Kimba

Anonymous said...

Hi Hill, I'm loving being able to read about all your experiences and see your pic's - kind of feel like I'm right there with you. You look so happy! Thanks for the pic of Mable with her bible. Give her my love. You're continually in my thoughts and prayers. I love you, Stac-

Uganda Photos (click on photo to change)

welcome to our blog!

We're not exactly sure what we'll be writing about, but we're sure it will be interesting... TO US!

Our newest posts will always be located at the top of the "Table of Contents" to the right, but you can also find posts by topic in the section below it.

want to leave a comment for us?

Just click on the word "comments" at the bottom of the post you'd like to respond to, and follow the directions.

Your comments are always appreciated.

___________________________________________________________

the latest on the sells

As of May 27, 2009...

Wow, it's been almost a year since we've updated this. Our family had a wonderful experience traveling to Uganda two summers ago, which prompted us to keep a journal on this blog. You can read our daily journal from our month long trip
here.

This year brings new adventures. Our eldest daughter, Courtney, after graduating from George Fox University with honors, left for her third trip to India to spend nearly a YEAR to work at Happy Home for the Handicapped in Shimoga, India. You can read about her first trip to India and the impact it had on her life here. She'll also give us new updates from her current trip on this site (here). As of this writing, she is just starting to settle in and is very excited to be there. She has been looking forward to this for a long time!

Meanwhile, Hillary spent all of last year
touring the western U.S. with Matsiko, the choir of children we grew to love as our own in Uganda. She journalled about her experiences in Uganda if you'd like to see what that was like. At some point during this tour, she felt led to join the U.S. Army. Quite a big decision, and one she didn't take lightly. After moving through Basic Training with flying colors, she is now at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio training to become a combat medic. It's a very intense training, but we're sure she'll do well. Our whole family was able to travel to South Carolina to watch her graduate from Basic Training. What an awe inspiring experience!

Leslie is having a great year of teaching 5th graders. She's also in a Master's program, which takes a good chunk of her time. She's still finds time to read a TON of books. Literally, a ton!

Curt was overwhelmed by his experience as a first time overseas traveler and kept up his journal here (you can also read his random posts on everyday life here). The busyness of life and keeping track of his traveling kids has slowed down his writing, but he hopes to begin writing on a regular basis again soon.